The Computer Misuse and Cybercrimes Act of 2018 (CMCA) was assented on 16th May, 2018 and enacted on 30th May, 2018.
CMCA provide for offences relating to computer systems; to enable timely and effective detection, prohibition, prevention, response, investigation and prosecution of computer and cybercrimes; to facilitate international co-operation in dealing with computer and cybercrime matters; and for connected purposes.
The objectives of CMCA as provided by law include:
- Protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of computer systems programs and data.
- Prevent the unlawful use of computer systems.
- Facilitate the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution and punishment of cybercrimes.
- Protect the rights to privacy, freedom of expression and access to information as guaranteed under the Constitution.
- Facilitate international co-operation on matters covered under this Act.
- Unauthorized Access, Interference and Interception to ICT Systems
- Illegal Devices and Access Codes
- Cyber Espionage
- False Publications and Publication of False Information
- Child Pornography
- Computer Fraud and Forgery
- Cyber Harassment
- Identity Theft and Impersonation
- Cyber Terrorism and Sabotage
- Aiding or abetting in the commission of an offence
- Any other Computer and Cyber Crimes as provided for in all laws of Kenya